We are adopting two adorable girls who have a little something extra, Down Syndrome!
We are excited to add them to our family.
We will use this blog to update family and friends on our adoption progress and fundraising efforts.
Just joining us? Click on the 2011 posts in the archive to find out why we are adopting the girls.

Why Down Syndrome??

The easy and best answer is because that is what our daughters have!

The truth is that the Lord has been preparing us for a long time for a daughter with Down Syndrome. 

About 1982:  When I was a little girl, I had a baby hospital in my room.  I had several dolls with various different illnesses and impairments.  I was either their nurse or their mother (depending on my mood that day).  This was my favorite game.

1994:  While sitting in my car at my High School, I had a very strong spiritual impression that I would adopt children with special needs from orphanages. 

1996:  While dating, my husband Kevin, told me that he wanted to adopt special needs children.  I told him of my spiritual impression.  We were thrilled we were on the same page.

1997: I was working as a waitress at Denny's.  My favorite customers were a husband and wife that came in every night for dinner.  They always sat in my section.  They both had Down Syndrome.  I instantly fell in love with them and would look forward to talking with them.

1998: I was called as a primary teacher for our church.  I was assigned a class that had only 3 ten year old boys.  All 3 of them had Down Syndrome!

1999: While walking through the parking lot to my college graduation ceremony, I had a strong impression I would have a daughter with Down Syndrome.  I was surprised and thrilled!  Not even a moment later, I heard my parents have this conversation:
Dad: Kelly and Kevin are both brilliant.  They are going to have super smart kids!
Mom: Maybe.  But I also think they would be great parents to kids with disabilities like Down Syndrome.
I felt a jolt of lightening go through my body.  Little did I know how much my bachelors degree in a medical field that I got that day would later pay off in my life!

2000: We brought home our twins from Cambodia.  This was our first experience as parents of special needs children.  We were hooked!  We went on to adopt 8 more times and have 1 birth child.  Our children's special needs include: severe neglect, severe abuse, sensory integration disabilities, premies, deaf, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, adhd, childhood arthritis, learning disabilities, failure to thrive, developmental disabilities, language delays, G-tubes, multiple surgeries, hydrocephalus, rickets, immune problems, asthma, microcephally, macrocephally, balance and coordination issues, and the list goes on!  We have become pros at therapies, doctors, special education, IEP's, medical equipment, medication, etc.  We love it.  It is our calling in life!  Our lives are full of ramps, lifts, tubes, wires, laughter, hugs, kisses and joy!  By being involved with the special needs community, we have had lots of exposure to people with different disabilities.  Those with Down Syndrome always tend to be our favorite.

2003:  After many fertility treatments, I got pregnant.  And this one stuck (we have had 4 miscarriages).  Since it was a high risk pregnancy, I had an ultrasound every month.  Everyone said she looked like she had Down Syndrome.  She had all the markers.  Through my college training I could also tell that she had a very high chance of having Down Syndrome.  My triple screen blood test came back abnormal.  I was offered an amnio but I refused given my miscarriage history.  We prepared to have a Down Syndrome child and were very excited.  We became good friends with a couple who had a baby with DS, we researched, we planned and then Allison came out without Down Syndrome.  She had macrocephally instead. 

2004: Reeces Rainbow www.reecesrainbow.org was founded as an adoption ministry to help get families for Down Syndrome children living in orphanages overseas.  I instantly fell in love with the ministry and especially the children listed.  Our family has donated to several children's adoption funds over the years.  Although, there were many, many adorable children and babies on this website over the years, much to our disappointment, we did not feel any were ours.

2010:  One of my good friends brought home a baby girl with Down Syndrome.  I felt myself jealous depsite my many blessings.

June 2011: I decide to close our doors to adoption. It is time to move on "to the next phase of our lives" whatever that means.  I do find it strange that the Lord never sent us a daughter with Down Syndrome but decided it was just my selfish desire and not meant to be.

November 2011:  I want to know for sure that we are done adding to our family so that we can begin making other plans (with our money, hee hee).  I fast for an answer but do not listen.  For days I am grumpy, irratable, and mean.  I know the Lord is trying to talk to me but I will not listen, I fear what He has to say.  I actively avoid the Lord.  Finally, my hubby comes to me and begs me to fix whatever is robbing our home of the Spirit.  I finally go to my knees.  The Lord in His love reminds me that I have a daughter with Down Syndrome missing. 

December 2011: I see Alice and Mara on the Reeces Rainbow website.  Out of all the children listed (there are a lot!) I am drawn to these girls.  Then I find out that they are not only in the same country but the same city. I fast again about the girls.  The only answer I get is that it will be obvious.  What?  Then over the next couple of days whole series of "coinsedences" keep leading me back to these 2 girls over and over again.  I am confused and go to one of my good friends who says, "Duh, isn't obvious??"  Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Just amazing! Congratulations! I am so excited for you...and a little jealous. Blessings on your beautiful growing family.

    ReplyDelete