We are adopting two adorable girls who have a little something extra, Down Syndrome!
We are excited to add them to our family.
We will use this blog to update family and friends on our adoption progress and fundraising efforts.
Just joining us? Click on the 2011 posts in the archive to find out why we are adopting the girls.

Day 2: Picking up the Girls!! (part 1)

Today was the moment we have been waiting for, for over a year.  I tried so hard not to cry through the whole thing as I did not want to scare the girls!  I couldn't believe it was actually happening!  It all felt so surreal.  What a glorious day!

We went to Alisa's orphanage first.  The drive out to the orphanage was not bad at all, thank goodness!  I drove with two people who did not know how to get there, but I found my way just fine.  By trip 3, I have this place down! 

We had brought gifts for the orphanage, the walker donations and cakes to celebrate Alisa's freedom.  Her orphanage director had a tea party for Alisa to celebrate.  They were so excited to have their first (and sadly, maybe their last) adoption completed. 

 
Alisa left the orphanage with no hesitation.  She excitedly waived and yelled, "Pacca, pacca!" Which means bye, bye!  She took my hand and off we went, out into freedom, a family and a real life full of adventure, love and opportunity.  It was a powerful moment.  The start of our future together as a family.  In peace, she fell asleep in my arms on the long drive back to the hotel.  Peace in our hearts that we were finally together, never to be seperated again.
 


 
 
But as glorious as it felt, my heart was torn into pieces for the children left behind.  Knowing that they may never escape the prison of an institution for the rest of their lives.  Their only crime, being born with Down Syndrome. 
 
Especially difficult was visiting my friend's daughter while I was at the orphanage.  They let me love on her for a good half hour.  She is 5 but at best wears 2T clothing.  She needs her mother so desperately!  And this stupid ban has them seperated.  She is the most delightful little girl, so full of life and joy and yet she is so ill and neglected.  It breaks my heart.  Why are we so blessed to make it out, but others are not?  Please pray for these children!  Please pray that this ban is removed.  There is absolutely no future for the disabled orphan in Russia.  None.

No comments:

Post a Comment